The LTC6803 is a 2nd generation, complete battery monitoring IC that includes a 12-bit ADC, a precision voltage reference, a high voltage input multiplexer and a serial interface. Each LTC6803 can measure up to 12 series-connected battery cells or supercapacitors. Using a unique level shifting serial interface, multiple LTC6803-1/LTC6803-3 devices can be connected in series, without opto-couplers or isolators, allowing for monitoring of every cell in a long string of series-connected batteries. Each cell input has an associated MOSFET switch for discharging overcharged cells. The LTC6803-1 connects the bottom of the stack to V– internally. It is pin compatible with the LTC6802-1, providing a drop-in upgrade. The LTC6803-3 separates the bottom of the stack from V–, improving cell 1 measurement accuracy.
The LTC6803 provides a standby mode to reduce supply current to 12μA. Furthermore, the LTC6803 can be powered from an isolated supply, providing a technique to reduce battery stack current draw to zero.
For applications requiring individually addressable serial communications, see the LTC6803-2/LTC6803-4.
|SPI Interface||Isolated V–||LTC6802 Pin Compatible|
- Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicles
- High Power Portable Equipment
- Backup Battery Systems
- Electric Bicycles, Motorcycles, Scooters
- Measures Up to 12 Battery Cells in Series
- Stackable Architecture
- Supports Multiple Battery Chemistries and Supercapacitors
- Serial Interface Daisy Chains to Adjacent Devices
- 0.25% Maximum Total Measurement Error
- Engineered for ISO26262 Compliant Systems
- 13ms to Measure All Cells in a System
- Passive Cell Balancing:
- Integrated Cell Balancing MOSFETs
- Ability to Drive External Balancing MOSFETs